Beauty on a Budget: Every Day Drugstore Make-Up Favorites
I love make-up. I love playing with new products and practicing techniques and creating beautiful looks. In my experience, a lot of people have the misconception that in order to create a good make-up look, you have to use high end products. While there are some more expensive products and brands that I love, there are more than enough affordable make-up products that are just as good as my favorite items from Sephora. I wanted to keep this post strictly related to brands you could find at the drugstore - Walgreens, CVS, Target, Wal Mart, etc - for the purposes of convenience. I may do a future post on other affordable brands and where to purchase those! For now, we’ll stick to products you could easily pick up on your weekly Target run (or am I the only one who goes to Target that often?).
Most of these products I use on the daily, and I trust they will work for me every time. I test out other products regularly, but these are the ones I keep coming back to! Hope you'll give them a try if you are in the market for new (affordable!) make-up. So without further adieu, here are 10 of my holy grail drugstore make up products. Also, just about everything on this list is under $10!
1. Maybelline Fit Me Matte and Poreless Foundation - This has long been my go-to every day foundation. It is a solid medium coverage foundation the that can be built up to more full coverage if needed. There is also a dewy and smooth version of this foundation that would work for all you ladies with more dry skin; for me, the matte and poreless is the perfect satin-matte formula that keeps me smooth without over drying. There are a ton of color options so no matter what state my skin is in (middle-of-the-winter pale, summer-sun tan, or fake tan) I can always find my perfect match with the right undertone.
2. Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder - I already talked about this in a recent post about my budge proof make up picks, and I have to revisit it for this post because it is truly a product I could not do without. It locks my foundation and concealer in place, helps with oil control, is finely milled so it goes on without looking too powdery, and does not have a white cast in flash photography. What else could a girl ask for?
3. Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer - I discovered this bronzer about a year ago, and it has been a staple of mine ever since! It blends so effortlessly (literally applies like butter, as the name would suggest) and warms the skin with a smooth radiance without being too orange or too ashy. I can use this whether I am very fair or have more color and somehow it always works - I just make sure to adjust how heavily I apply it. The brand has since come out with a deep version for darker skin tones. Such a good product!
4. Maybelline Master Chrome Highlight - I love a good cheek highlight, and this is one of the best. There are several shades of this highlight, and all are so beautiful - my favorites for my skin tone are molten gold (when I am more tan) and molten rose gold (when I am more fair). It gives a stunning, glowing highlight with a smooth sheen and no chunky glitter.
5. NYX Micro Brow Pencil - This brow pencil is great because of how small and precise it is. I like a brow pencil that I can make hair-like strokes with for the most natural looking volume. This pencil also has a brush on the opposite end which is awesome for blending out the strokes. It's creamy, pigmented, and applies like a dream!
6. L'Oreal Infallible Eyeshadow - L’Oréal killed it with these metallic single shadows. They are so luxurious, so buttery, and so easy to work with! My favorite shades are amber rush and iced latte - they are so very creamy and metallic on they’re own; and if you want to amp it up a notch, apply them with some setting spray to intensify the formula. They look like high end foiled shadows!
7. Revlon ColorStay Skinny Liquid Liner - I love a sharp, winged eyeliner every now and then, and this is always the product I use to achieve it. The skinny wand applies a nice, precise line to the eyelid and allows me enough control to create a sharp wing on the end! Some liquid liners sacrifice precision for control with a bulky applicator, but I think this is the best of both worlds. It’s also black as coal, dries down matte, and stays put for hours!
8. L'Oreal Lash Paradise - If you have ever struggled to find a good mascara at a reasonable price, look no further, people! This mascara is everything! I have tried high end mascaras that don’t give half of the volume, length, and staying power that this stuff has. The formula is awesome - it helps my lashes hold their curl without weighing them down, and the wand really grabs the lashes to apply product evenly. I will not use another mascara!
9. Maybelline ColorSensational Matte Lipstick - For a long time everyone was on the liquid lipstick train, including myself. However, lately I've found myself reaching for more traditional lipsticks, especially for every day wear. These "ColorSensational" mattes by Maybelline are a great pick if you want beautiful color that has lasting power but is very comfortable and creamy. The formula is not quite as dry as other matte lipsticks so they don't tug at the lips during application. There are tons and I mean tonnnns of shades in this line and a variety of finishes - satin, gloss, etc. The mattes are hands down the winners in my opinion. They are so good!
10. NYX Butter Gloss - Where do I begin? This is everything I want in a gloss. The wand applies a sheer wash of color - perfect to wear alone on a minimal make up day or to amp up the color and shine of the lipstick I wear underneath. The formula has as good of staying power as you could ask for in a gloss, and is so buttery on the lips without being gloopy or tacky. My go-to shade is creme brulee.